In the first century A.D., a huge castrum protected the port of the Roman city of Eburodunum. Now called Yverdon-les-Bains, there are still a few vestiges of the castrum visible in the centre of the city.
In 325, the Romans of Eburodunum/Yverdon built a castrum to protect the port from Alemanni attacks. On the shores of Lake Neuchâtel, Eburodunum was the main river/lake base north of the Alps and occupied a strategic position on the main communication routes. Research suggests that the Romans became integrated into the local population, adopted many local customs and developed their own.
A major Roman fortress covering an area of 2 ha was built in Eburodunum, surrounded by a wall with 15 stonework towers.
In 405, the Romans withdrew, abandoning the castrum. The last vestiges were destroyed in 1860, so the city could be extended.